Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Soccer tournament

Starting to teach some coaches soccer English terms. They are trying to learn enough to get there coaching license that will be held in Cambodia but taught and tested in English. So far I am teaching 4 guys. 1 very serious to learn and the others are so so. The youngest is 20 and knows very little English. He also works for salt. He is kinda a little punk. I have to basically drag him to class. I stand at the stairs and I scream perun ( his name) are you coming today. He just smirks at me. Then I say what do you have better to do. ........ He didn't come that day ( lazy boy bc I no he didn't have anything to do) the 1 guy who is very eager to learn and is very excited to know that I will be traveling with the mighty girls down to kempot ( south of Cambodia I am towards the north) thus I will still be able to teach him bc he is the assistant coach for the mighty girls. The tournament is 2 weeks long ( wt heck) it is similar to the state tournament.
I will be traveling with the team as a teacher. Since the tournament is 2 weeks long they still need to have class. They seem to be very excited for this. Which is finally good to see some fire in them for a game. However, one of my students tried to trick me and tell me we didn't have class today bc they needed to pack and get ready to leave. I laughed at her and said no we will have class.

At the orphanage
The season came to a close. (the team I co coach with -- did not win-- still need a little more structure : ) haha )) anyway- It will start up again after the Khmer new year ( biggest holiday in Cambodia) the orphanage had a party for the season yesterday. It was very cool. Kids running around so happy to have a tradition big meal that they loved. They stared at me confused at why I didnt eat it. It was also so neat to see that all the coaches ( mighty girls and I and some other volunteers) sat cross legged when we ate and all the kids sat with there feet pointing away and knees bent facing us. It is a sign of respect that the mighty girls had taught me the first week I arrived. When I sat down to eat with the mg the first week I naturally didn't want to sit cross legged so I sat how you should if your younger or sign of respect and they told me I didn't have to sit like that, so it was cool to see that all the kids just did it.

On way back from orphanage we ran out of gas ( that was Fun -- not going to explain it .........)

Had another great experience with food poisoning - this time was far crappier ( pun intended) hahahhahahahahah

Excited for this month ---- for the tournament , and I will be traveling for the Khmer new year time due to no soccer and teaching. They have a 2 week break so I will be heading to hong kong and Bali!!!

Pics -- teaching the boys and the girls


2 comments:

  1. You are so amazing. I love reading your updates and trying to decipher your "english". LOL Keep up the good work and keep pushing them to get to class. So glad your parents didn't have to do that with you..... Hopefully be able to Skype before you leave for your 2 week adventure plus fun in Hong Kong and Bali. Missing you bunches!

    Stay safe (no riding after dark) and love ya --

    Aunt Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics! I bet all the teachers here wish their class size was that small--can you imagine trying to teach english to 20 or 30 students?!?!?!
    There's no doubt in my mind that you have earned the respect of those girls and probably the coaches as well! Oh ya--leaving your mark--way to go Jess!
    I read if you drink the juice of a fresh squeezed lemon that it helps food poisoning--just in case you get it again!
    Have fun in Hong Kong & Bali. Just remember you pinky swore you would go out of your way to stay safe!!! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time and meet some interesting people. Sure will miss not being able to skype with you every week and "SEEING" that you are ok!!
    Remember to listen to your inner "Chelsey"!!
    Have fun--safe travels--smart choices!
    Love & prayers!
    Auntie Godmom Karen

    ReplyDelete