Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lots going on

Soccer tournament in the capital of Cambodia. I depart with two coach buses full of screaming kids most with 3 kids to a seat. They were so excited to go to a soccer tournament. We stayed at a school! It was something I am glad I did but don't ever ask me to do it again. 100 kids sleeping in the top floor of one of the school rooms, tin roof pouring down rain, can't hear the person next to you. it's so loud with the rain hitting the ruff. Next thing you no there is leaks and half of the tile floor is wet. It didn't phase the kids they just moved there mats. I went and slept in the library. all the kids were up at 4 am playing and screaming!! WTF go back to sleep. I go down to the bathroom which is not even in the school it is on the outside. With buckets of water and holes in the ground ( normal) the kids laugh at me when I reach the bathroom bc there is a line and the look on my face must of said ... Why in the world are you up for the game all ready go back to sleep... I have to wait in line to go squat in this Asian toilet,.... You guys have to play soccer all day why aren't you sleeping, I just slept in a library, no I don't want to eat nasty rice portage, no I didn't sleep well,; yes I am happy despite all this to experience this soccer tournament with you. 

That day a friend from Brainerd ( Melissa Hanson) arrived to find out what waiting around in Cambodia is like. She showed up at  the fields and we Waited and waited and Waited for the tuck to come and pick the girls and us up to go back to our wonderful place we called home. before going to bed I was told 3 different answers on what time the bus was leaving in the morning.  We got up in the Morning to make our way to the cost of Cambodia for the mighty girls " state" tournament. We got up 630 to catch a bus at 7 that didn't come Intell 8 something. so again we waited and waited and waited. When we arrived we sat at another school and Waite and waited ( in this time we waited and waited I got the girls to dance and sing a bit and we had photo shoots)  after waiting and waiting sam  (the main man) came and told them he rented an apartment for the 2 weeks for the team and coaches and English teachers to stay in. 

Mellisa and I went and stayed on the river - which was awesome bc we were able to swim and paddle on surf boards and to escape the heat. The river is neat. The current switches directions based on the tide. It's a u shape river that goes to the ocean. 
The girls had a day break so Mel( she made it easier for the mg to say her name) and I went kep ( a town on the beach about 35 min from where we were) on a moto bike. It was quite the day. We started of breaking the mirror on the moto, the screw came out and it fell off wile driving it. Then we had the two of us on the bike with goofy helmets my backpack and Mels big real backpackers backpack. It was a sight to see. We arrived in kep and started to plan our day in half. In planning we went to three different places trying to figure a way to go to phu cock island in vietnam. After pissing off a Cambodian Tavel agent women we had it all settled only to get back to the room and relies I didn't have my pass port bc I had to give it to the moto bike rental dude. 
Other kep stories-- broken glasses, being screwed over in a room for money, monkeys, lady boy, hamik breaking wile I was laying in it, cambodian locks one key fits all,  big boats made more like big canoes, butterflies, nature snakes geckos toads bugs, crab crab crab crab crab crab crab, ghost town, French math skills, And super ha -- if you have been to Cambodia you no what super means! All of those things I listed make up kep 

The girls have a lot of down time in this tournament , so I see them playing cards and they ask me if I want to play. I ask first for them to explain it to me. They kinda try but English is a problem. So I make the mistake on saying o well I will learn as we go. They were playing for money and needless to say I lost all of my money. -I think they were cheating thou, they thought it was hilarious bc they were seeing my competitive side and I was losing all of my money. one of the mg won most of the hands and thanked me wile smirking for the snack she went and bought her self. 

Side note-- as I write this entry there is something in my bathroom????Like a bat or monkey or bird or ????? Not sure if I should get the bungalow owner dude or just open the door and see if it attacks me.  

2 comments:

  1. I feel so much better to see you updated your blog but oh boy, the stories you must have. Can't wait to Skype to hear all about it.....that is as long as the "thing" in your bathroom didn't attack you. It sounds like this is more of an experience of endurance, patience, and of course, lack of sleep. LOL Just remember you have a break coming up where you can relax....I think or maybe that is when you get back home of which we are counting the days. Can't wait to get a hug in person from you!!

    Stay safe and love ya bunches!!

    Miss ya -- Aunti Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF go back to sleep---too funny!!! I bet they are having a blast and I bet you are also inspite of the weather and bathrooms and nasty rice and whatever it is that was in your bathroom waiting to come out!!!!
    Thanks for the update. It's good to know you are ok and well. Hope Figi is everything you want it to be. It's also nice to know we will be seeing you in a couple of months verses 6 months---counting down the days my dear monkey! Happy Merry Easter!!!
    Remember to listen to your inner "Chelsey"!!
    Have fun--safe travels--smart choices!
    Love & prayers!
    Auntie Godmom Karen

    ReplyDelete