Sunday, December 25, 2011

Mt cook national park

Mt cook national park
My last stop in he south island of new Zealand and a stop I have been looking forward too. Mt cook is the tallest peak in NZ standing 3754 meters. I was told vertical limits was filmed in the national park. It holds the highest peaks in NZ. I had planned a 2 day hike where I will stay over night at around 1800 meters and then carry on to around 2000 (6560 feet about ) and then turn back. - if your now saying why don't you do mt cook- I wish but I'm not crazy, it is for experts and you have to have a partner to hook on to. You also have to climb climb parts of it and there is snow that can fall at anytime and kill you. They say There are 5 deaths every year and about 1500 bodies not found. For the next 3 days I will be living off of peanut butter sandwiches and some dried fruit and nuts and couple apples and bananas. Thankfully I am kinda cheating and the hut I am staying at has water : ) so I can re fill my bottles. the list for things they say to bring is far to big - I will just say that. don't want you to worry ha but its a check list of 15 and I have 4.5 : ) it will be all gooooooood! I packed my bag and was excited to get to bed to wake up and go. : ( when I woke I couldn't even see the mt it was all clouds and rain and wind and booooooooooooo! I had to hold off one day and do well um....... I am in a national park the only thing to do here is outdoor activities. The closest town is 50 min away, so that means the one restaurant and bar is double the price. They don't have a store so only my hostel has 4x the price of anything. It does have a cozy fire place and DVD and 1 dollar for 15 min Internet. So I watched some movies wrote in my journal and paid for some net time, and studied Khmer (Cambodian language). 

So so so so amazing i write this as I sit in a hut on top of a mountain hoping my feet will warm up. I dont no were to start to explain what I did today! I saw some of the best views of new Zealand and its all beautiful but this was above and beyond what I had imagined it would've  been like. I actually kinda got scared on this climb that was classified as a tramping but it was hard core.  There was a hard part where if I made a mistake or the rock that I choose to step on or reach for moved I would of most likely died! ( seriously this is not me bs ing this time) I am bad with words so I hope to just post pictures soon even though the pictures don't give it justice. I was able to watch the sun set. I was in and out of clouds. Watched glaciers fall to the ground and sound like an explosion. Saw how high I was but yet so many peaks that were way higher. Where I am staying has snow and most of what surrounds me does as well. I found myself as I went up to highest part saying Jess be careful in my head and I was like talking to myself ha this makes me sounds dumb, but I was like test that rock. Don't look down ha carful I never say these things but I did this time. By the way when you travel it makes you want to travel more. Climbing mt is same way once you do one your hooked and you want more and more so even though I got scared for little bit. I like want that agin, no I'm not an adrenaline junky I can't describe it I just ......  

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That's about all I can say without tears of worry for your Mountain climbing. I'm sure it was beyond amazing and indescribeable!
    I think the next line should say "Remember to listen to your inner Auntie God-Mom Karen"!!!!
    Remember to listen to your inner "Chelsey"!!
    Have fun--safe travels--smart choices!
    Love & prayers!
    Auntie Godmom Karen

    ReplyDelete