Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ask me now what my favorite country is?

Panic mode

Christchurch had zero beds open for me on the day I arrived. All hostels were booked (crap)! The airport floor was calling my name. I jumped onto couchsurfing  and send some quick couch request to see by chance and luck and hope that someone would say yes you can stay with me. Did I mention I was not arriving tell 1225! With in 2 hours of me panicking rod said sure you an stay with me. He gave me address said take the shuttle and then gave me the code to his house and directions to my bed ha! Aka he was not staying up to great me he was just letting me on it! sweet as! My plane was late so I didn't arrive tell 120 and during the flight I thought we were going to have to turn around bc someone had a heart something and they called for all doctors or paramedics on board to help it was interesting. I always wondered about that on a plane. The shuttle driver after dropping off 5 other Americans then asked If I wanted a tour. I said in my head - well of course who the heck dosent want a tour at 2 in the morning- but answered sure that would be great. ... Tour........ 
I am going to call this tour the earthquake tour
So if you didn't know Christchurch( for all you none geography people It's in new Zealand and I want to teach you that bc I am always being told that Americans don't know enough about other places in the world so goodanya) has had 4 earthquakes in the last year and half the biggest one last feb that was a 6.3( grade it out of 10)  witch isant that big but it hit the center of the city! ( yes I am learning all this at 2 am) so my guide brought me to see the big damage sites and explained what it all looked like! I can't even imagine what it was like. The city is no longer a city a forth of the city has moved. The roads are just getting fixed. homes won't be back to re built for over 2 years. The insurance won't start rebuilding tell there is not another earthquake over 4??? For 1 1/2 years. They still have after shock earth quakes like everyday. When it did strike it was a earthquake that goes up and down not side to side so it's like the ground had a wave that went threw it that was one meter high. When this happens it creates ( forgot the word) but a silky mud stuff that sat on top of the streets. Houses come right off there foundation everything in a house moves and breaks rod my couchsurfer showed me his pictures of his place. Tourist don't stop in Christchurch anymore bc they don't have places for them to stay. ( hence why all the places were full bc they only have 4 working hostels) in business they have signs up that say sorry we are closed don't no if we will re open due to earthquakes. The main street is now all train crates type deal that have the shops in them. It looks kinda neat bc they are all painted. 

When I awoke I walked out onto a deck and I could see mountains and the beach and he city! Me being me decided to go for a work out up the mountain I am all ready 3/4 way up ( that's were his house was) but I am convinced I will run yes haha run to the top! If you wanted to know I died 20 min in and had to do a walk jog run thing! Butt : ) I made it to the top. For all you all that have climbed a mountain wow! First you don't think it's that far then your like o shit am I even going to make it to the top bc I haven't made it any closer, then you can see your close and you have that voice inside your head saying just keep going your all most there, then you make it and you sit and look at the view and you get a feeling like you want to cry but you don't cry you just smile and ---And -- and I can't describe you will just have to go climb a mountain! 

I drove on left hand side 2 x ahhhhhh once bc rod drank over the limit and said you havent drank much you drive I said how much is a taxi he says 40 I said give me the keys. Then he had to get a car serviced so I drove again by my self this time mohahah. ( keep left keep left keep left) 

Have been three more places I have zero time wanting to spend on net and it cost so I will write sometime?????? In prob a month 
Living and loving : ) 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you and know you made it safe and sound. Sounds like fun and can't wait to see pics from on top of the mountain! You stay safe and have fun (yeah, right, like I need to tell you that at anytime). LOL Miss you and love you!!

    Aunt Cherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your favorite country? Hey--you said to ask! Wow-I feel like I had a history lesoon reading your post! Glad you made it to the top of the mountain-awesome! Please don't wait a month to post--you know how I worry!!!! If I turn into G-Ma it will be your fault--teehee!! Glad you're having fun, glad you love your life, glad you're safe and experiencing all kinds of things--to the left-to the left!!!!
    Remember to listen to your inner "Chelsey"!!
    Have fun--safe travels--smart choices!
    Love & prayers!
    Auntie Godmom Karen

    ReplyDelete